Thursday, June 14, 2012

Three Months!!!

I hit the 3 month mark yesterday, with 90 days on the road!

My 2.5 month update had innaccurate milage - I actually had only driven 9,549.6 miles, but had errantly posted 10,549.6.  Now I have surpassed the 10k mark, for I am currently at 11,644.1 miles (A mere 130 miles per day average, though I've had some days that were under 30, and some that were over 700).  According to Google, the most direct route home is 3,138 miles, and 51 hours, and bisects the continental US almost perfectly, as you'd expect, since just a couple of days ago I was at the most NW point in the lower 48, and I don't live too far from the most SE point.

I'm currently in Tacoma, WA, and still have to hit Seattle and go through the Northern Cascades National Park area before heading into Canada (planning to go to Vancouver, take the ferry from there to Victoria, drive up t Prince Rupert, take the ferry from there into Ketchikan, then to Juneau, and on up to the mainland of Alaska).  I'll be driving back to the states through Canada, coming down through Calgary by way of Banff, into Glacier National Park.  I expect this to consume approximately another month, because Alaska and Canada have a lot of ground to cover.

I have had a few issues with equipment.  In addition to the issues mentioned in earlier status updates, like the broken tent stake, lost lens filters and paper towels, etc., I have worn much of the sole off my sneakers, and they are no longer waterproof.  I have also recently had issues with my DSLR and my 18-200mm lens.  The DSLR needs a thorough CCD cleaning, as there is dust stuck on the sensor (actualy, a filter that is overlayed on the sensor), which doesn't dislodge with air, and the lens has a ribbon cable that has diconnected inside of it, which interferes with the light at certain places throughout the range of the zoom.  I have ways of making it work, but I'm planning to stop at a camera shop today so I can clean the CCD, since that affects every picture I take.

Off I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment