Sunday, April 22, 2012

Don't touch that Trip!!!

Before I left my house at the start of this trip, I forgot to hit the trip reset on my odometer.  I remembered that I had forgotten it 4 miles prior to reaching Homosassa, and calculated the amount of miles I would need to offset my odometer to keep accurate track of my mileage.  It was approximately 71.6 miles extra, which meant that I would need to reset the trip at 928.4 miles to get myself back on track.  I forgot.  Twice.

When I was about to hit 3000 miles, I noticed where I was, and paid attention, waiting to hit the reset.  I was driving through Houston at the time, and glanced at the city scape, and lost track.  I caught myself quick enough to make an adjustment, and did some quick arithmetic, to create an even offset.  This left me with needing to adjust 2 miles out of the next thousand (reset at (3)998).  I did get this reset perfect, and have been accurate in mileage for the trip to the tenth of a mile for the rest of the approximately 1800 miles...until now.

Since I was nearing the 6000 mile mark, I decided to get an oil change before leaving Tucson (I normally change oil more frequently, but these are different miles than usual, and put on in a much shorter time frame, so I figured 6000 mile changes is appropriate).  As I pulled onto the interstate, I was distraught.  The service guy at Jiffy Lube had done his job - reset my trip!

My mileage is no longer perfect.  After spending much time and effort to make it so, it can no longer be completely accurate.  Fortunately, I do have some idea what the trip read when I pulled into the Jiffy Lube.  I think it was 819.x, so I'm operating on that.  Since leaving there, I have travelled 57.9 miles, so I am at an estimated total of 5876.9, which I am going to round to 5877, since I know there was at least a tenth of a mile in the x (I think it was 4 tenths, but I'm not certain, so I'm going to stick with the easier math).

This means, when I get to 123 miles on the trip odometer, I have to reset to make an even 6000.  It probably won't be as perfect, but it should be really close.  Stinks to spend thousands of miles to make adjustments and corrections to those adjustments to get it absolutely perfect, just to end up with someone else clearing out all that work in a fraction of a second!

No comments:

Post a Comment