Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter - busy, but rewarding!

I'll go more into detail, but felt like putting this up, and wishing all my readers had a Happy Easter.

I would have liked to go to a church, but I slept the night in my car at a "picnic area" near LBJ State Park. Woke up to a nice sunrise, and went to the park, passing by a rest stop that wold have been a more ideal stop, but wouldn't have been a isolated. The park was one of the best parks I've been to in any state. A fully functioning turn of the century farm, LBJ's ranch, long horn cattle, and numerous other livestock, and it's all free, unless you want to pay $2 for tour of the bottom floor of the LBJ ranch house, which is well worth it. I was there from 7:00-3:30, and didn't care that I spent nearly a whole day there.

Afterward, I stopped in Fredericksburg, TX, for a German late lunch, before heading to Enchanted Rock, which I climbed just shy of the summit (for various reasons, mainly that I was off course, and headed up a much steeper part than I should have been on), so I decided to take a trail around the mountain - at dusk, and with all my flashlights in the car. I nearly spent the night on the mountain, but with the full moon, and a 4 mile gravel path wrapping around the whole park, I managed to feel my way out, using my alternate-alternate light sources (camera and cell phone).

At this point, I'm most of the way through Scenic Rte#77 - Texas Hill Country. Finding that despite how much people hate driving Texas, I really like the heartland of Texas. Having a newly acquired blister on my heel, I will try to minimize walking today, but I will still head from Kerrville to Utopia and Bandera before heading to the San Antonio KOA to get a much anticipated shower. Tomorrow should be the day for exploring San Antonio, which I'm also looking forward to!

1 comment:

  1. The Alamo is cool...check out the basement :)

    ReplyDelete